Sunday, June 24, 2012

Low-Sugar Granola


I've got 4 kids. I'm busy. We eat a LOT of cereal around here, but a few weeks ago, I noticed that on the mornings we eat cereal, my kids seem more cranky and my little one is just WILD. So while a protein-rich breakfast of, say, an omelet, would be best, I simply do not have the time to cook every morning.
So I decided to make my own breakfast cereal to limit the sugar and add some protein. I've been working on the recipe for a few weeks, and I finally got it where I want it! (Please note: While this granola is very yummy, and my family loves it, it is not very sweet--which was my goal! But if you want sweet granola, there are many excellent recipes out there. This ain't one of 'em!)
Bonus: Your house will smell FANTASTIC while it's cooking!!

Low-Sugar Granola
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix:
4 cups of Old-Fashioned Oats (or Rolled Oats)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups of chopped nuts (I used cashews, pecans, and sliced almonds)

In another bowl, mix:
1/4 cup oil
3 Tbs water
2 Tbs Honey
2 tsp vanilla

Then pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix with your hands, being sure to moisten everything. Then pour onto a large cookie sheet (or two regular ones) and spread evenly.
I then bake it on the convection setting at 250 degrees, stirring every ten minutes to make sure it is toasting evenly. I bake it a total of 45-50 minutes on convection, or until it looks evenly toasty. (Pecans are a good measure for judging the toastiness.) *I have also baked it on a regular bake setting at 250 degrees, flipping/stirring every 15 minutes. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Substitutions:
*You could swap out a cup of oats for a cup of coconut
*You could add raisins (I didn't want the extra sugar) AFTER it is done toasting
*You could swap dark brown for regular brown sugar
*You could swap maple syrup for the honey, but you may want to add a little more

It's really very versatile, so have fun with it!

We add it to greek yogurt with fruit, ice cream, dip a banana in it, or eat it right off the pan!
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment