Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blogging and Potato Peel Pie

Preface: OK, I have been thoroughly shamed into picking the blog back up. I apologize for being a slacker, really.




Yesterday I drove my dear friend Bethany 2.5 hours to meet a friend she made in "Blogworld" (meaning she had never met this woman in real life). I didn't think it was crazy at all.


It reminded me of the book I just finished reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is written as a series of letters written as a result of a sheer coincidence between people who start out perfect strangers and end up being the very best of friends. Framed by World War II and the Nazi occupation of the unique little Brittish island town of Guernsey, it is a wonderful mixture of poignant sad moments and hysterically funny ones.
As the digital era takes over, fewer people write letters....but after yesterday, I realized that, in a lot of ways, a blog serves the same purpose: to connect and inform.

So here's my "letter" for today: connect with someone-send them a letter, a card, an email, or....write a blog!

(Oh! And read the book, it's great!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are back. Thank you so much for being the wheels, and my support - I am not sure I would have been brave enough without you.
    And the book looked great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo! Thanks for being such an awesome friend to Bethany!!! How great God plans things out, huh? I did see that book on the new book shelf at the library and didn't even finish reading the title! ha!

    ReplyDelete